At any time can a parent change a minor child’s last name without the other parent’s permission?

In North Carolina, a parent may not change the name of a minor child without the consent of the other parent, except in the following instances: the other parent is deceased; the minor child has reached the age of 16; the minor child has the consent of the custodial parent who has supported the minor child and the clerk of court is satisfied that the non-custodial parent has abandoned the minor child; or the non-custodial parent has been adjudicated as having abandoned the minor child.

Back to the Top

  • Child Custody Guide

    The Details

    A detailed breakdown of custody schedules, determining factors in custody cases, and how custody can differ when reached by agreement vs. reached by a court order.

    Read More