Serving divorce papers

Welcome to the North Carolina Divorce Legal Issues Forum. Please post your topics and questions for discussion. Our attorneys WILL RESPOND to the posted issues. It may take several days for a response to be posted by our attorneys.

Moderators: LeeRosen, Kathleen Putiri, Erin Clarey, Lindsay Willis, Ryan Short

Serving divorce papers

Postby lovetoski » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 pm

I am going to file divorce papers myself. When serving them, do I have to use a sheriff or certified? Can
I serve him via Fed Ex with signature required? It would take forever for the sheriff to find him and he won't go pick up
something if it's send certified.
lovetoski

Re: Serving divorce papers

Postby Ryan Short » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 pm

You can send it certified or FedEx, but you have to make sure he personally accepts it and signs.
Ryan Short
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Ballantyne • Cary • Chapel Hill • Charlotte • Durham • Raleigh • Matthews • Pineville

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

ROSEN.COM

We aim to be your best option for finding a Raleigh divorce lawyer, Charlotte divorce lawyer, or Durham divorce lawyer

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.
Ryan Short

Return to Legal Issues - ATTORNEYS WILL RESPOND