Government Resources in Raleigh, NC

If you have recently divorced, and are starting anew in Raleigh, you will need access to all kinds of information, including information about Government resources. Whether you are looking for tax information, trying to setup your utilities, or searching for a public school for your child to attend, this is your one-stop-shop for relevant government information that can help you make Raleigh your new home.

Tax Information

Wake County Revenue Department
301 S. McDowell St.
Raleigh NC 27601
3rd Floor
(919) 856 – 5400

If you have recently divorced, you may have some questions or concerns related to tax information. Perhaps your former spouse handled the finances and taxes, or maybe you are new to the Raleigh area and simply looking for tax information. Access to Wake County tax information can be incredibly helpful to many people after a divorce.

The Revenue Department website gives you access to information related to real estate tax, business tax, personal property tax, and motor vehicle tax. This site offers online billing and payment options, and it also provides tax rates and fee charts. You can easily search the tax value of both personal and commercial real property in Wake County, and research foreclosure information as well as learn about other tax related programs and services. The website offers a ton of information and FAQs and is a great resource for tax related questions.

Postal Service

An important and often forgotten task to complete after a move is to update your address at the post office. You will need to update your billing and shipping address with your bank, and other places, but the first step is to fill out a change of address form for the U.S. Postal Service. This will forward any mail delivered to your previous address on a short-term basis, allowing you time to update your address everywhere you need to.  You can fill out the form at any local post office, or you can submit this request online.

Drivers License Information

Division of Motor Vehicles

The division of motor vehicles is another resource that you will need for various divorce-related tasks. Some reasons you may need to visit the DMV are as follows:

  1. To obtain a NC Drivers license
  2. To change your address on your existing NC license
  3. To change your name on your NC license after a divorce
  4. To obtain a NC Identification card
  5. Obtain information about vehicle registration and renewal
  6. Obtain a new vehicle title

Some services may be completed online, at the DMV website listed above. For instance, you may update your address, order a duplicate ID if yours was lost or stolen, or order a duplicate registration card without having to set foot in a DMV office. However, other services, such as changing your name on your license, will require a trip to the DMV. If you do have to visit a DMV office, use their office locator search engine available on their website. Not every office offers every DMV service, so be sure to call in advance and make sure the office you plan to visit may take care of your DMV need. Additionally, you may download any number of forms on their website that you may be able to fill out in advance. There are roughly six DMV offices in the Raleigh area that can handle most drivers license needs; those locations are listed here:

  • North Raleigh Office
    2431 Spring Forest Rd.Raleigh, NC 27615
    (919) 855 – 6877
  • West Raleigh Office
    3231 Avent Ferry Rd.Raleigh, NC 27607
    (919) 816 – 9128
  • Cary Office
    1387 SE Maynard RoadCary, NC 27511
    (919) 468 – 0319
  • Wendell Office2851 Wendell Blvd.
    Wendell, NC 27591
    (919) 365 – 9516
  • Fuquay-Varina Office131 South Fuquay Avenue
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    (919) 552 – 1895
  • Garner Office222 Forest Hills Dr.
    Garner, NC 27529
    (919) 662 – 4366

Social Security Information

Raleigh Social Security Office

4701 Old Wake Forest Rd.
Raleigh, NC 27609
(877) 803 – 6311

As a recent divorcee, you may find yourself needing to visit the local social security office. If you have legally changed your name, you will need to apply for a new social security card. Or, if you have lost an original social security card (for you or your children) in the move, you will need to get a replacement card. Both of these actions require a visit to the local Social Security office.

To obtain a new social security card reflective of a name change after a divorce, you must go to the local Social Security Office and provide them with documentation that proves you are a US citizen (i.e., birth certificate or passport), and documentation of your legal name change (i.e., the divorce decree).  You will also need to fill out and print an application for a correction to your social security card.

If you need a duplicate card because the original has been lost or stolen, bring documentation of U.S. citizenship (i.e., passport or birth certificate), and proof of Identity (i.e., drivers license, military ID card, or passport), and the printed application form.


City of Raleigh
222 W. Hargett St.
Raleigh, NC 27601

An important step when moving into a new place is getting all of your utilities setup. You will need to arrange for satellite TV or cable services, power, landscaping, maid services, or any number of monthly services you take advantage of. Some of these utility services are provided by the City of Raleigh.

Public Utilities Department

(919) 996 – 4540

Water and sanitary sewer services are provided to residents of Raleigh, Garner, Wake Forest, Rolesville, Knightdale, and Zebulon by the Public Utilities Department. A visit to their website will allow you to start or stop this service, pay your bill, and find answers to frequently asked questions regarding water and sanitary sewer services. You can also find information about reporting water quality concerns and sewer overflows on this website.

Solid Waste Services Department

(919) 996 – 6890

The city provides curbside garbage, yard waste and recycling services; garbage and yard wasted pickups are weekly while recycling pickup occurs twice per month. Additionally, the city will pickup bulky items that can be disposed of in a landfill, but are too bulky to fit into a trash can for free. Other items, like large appliances, that cannot be disposed of in a landfill can be picked up for a fee.

Emergency Services

Raleigh Police Department

As always, if experiencing an emergency or ongoing incident please dial 911 and a dispatcher will direct your call to the appropriate authority. For non-emergencies or other crimes, however, the following information may prove useful.

To report a crime or tip you may visit the Police Department’s website and submit your request online, or you may call (919) 996 – 3335. This service should only be used if there is no serious personal injury, property damage or property loss, there is no possibility that the suspect is still at the scene or likely to return, or if an immediate response is not needed. Appropriate crimes to report would be harassing phone calls, lost or stolen property, thefts from vehicles, and hit and run accidents.

Unfortunately, some recently divorced people face threats of violence from their former spouse. If this is the case, we suggest you contact the Family Violence Intervention Program at (919) 996 – 3335.

Other helpful Police Department phone numbers are as follows:

  • Animal Control – 919-831-6311
  • CrimeStoppers – 919-834-4357
  • Drug Activity Hotline – 919-996-3555
  • Evidence & Found Property – 919-996-3395
  • Gang Tip Line – 919-996-4264
  • Gang Prevention Information – 919-256-0919
  • Graffiti Removal Hotline – 919-996-6001

Raleigh Fire Department

(919) 996 – 6115

The Raleigh Fire Department responds to emergency calls 24 hours a day, operating from 27 fire stations in the Raleigh area. Fire fighters are also trained first responders and can address some health emergencies.  If you witness a fire taking place, dial 911 immediately.